Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Falling Petals, Chapter Two

Chapter Two: Breaking Free

            On the fifth day, I woke slowly, stretching and yawning. My head throbbed just a little, so I popped a bottle in our microwave. Lisa and I shared a room. We’d insisted. Her bead was neatly made, so she must’ve been downstairs, getting her breakfast. The microwave dinged, and I sighed. It was a little easier to down the nasty synthetic liquid when it was warm. But it still didn’t taste good.

            “Hey Rose. We’ve got ten minutes.” Lisa said from the doorway. The sides of her mouth twitched up and she mimed wiping her lips. I knew my mouth was stained berry red. I licked my lips and teeth painstakingly, removing all the traces of fake blood.

            “How are my beautiful girls?” Eric asked, glowing with happiness. He had appeared in the hallway right behind Lisa. I laughed and hugged him tightly. We’d become amazingly close for such a short time- in fact we were right on schedule. We’d kissed, and he’d gotten to second base. In terms of the mission, we were moving right along. I’d even been out to dinner with him, though we’d had to leave. Idiot Eric had punched the waiter for looking down my dress.

            “Oh, ha ha, Mr. Slythe.” Lisa smiled tolerantly. She ran a brush through her thick golden mane. Eric raised an eyebrow at me, taking in my messy hair, worn t-shirt, and ripped jeans.

            “Going for the just-rolled-out-of-bed look?” he guessed aptly.

            “Well, really I did, but yes.” I smiled again. He stuck his hands in my tangled locks and mussed my hair.

            “Sex hair!” Lisa laughed.

            “Now you looked like you just rolled out of bed with someone.” Eric grinned impishly. I couldn’t help but laugh.

            “Having fun?” Anna’s voice was acid. She glared at us, scowling. Anna had pulled away from us completely in the last couple of days. She was distant and constantly drowsy. I thought she was taking drugs.

            “We were.” Lisa said rudely. I glanced at her, shocked.

            “Well don’t let me interrupt.” Anna hissed. She almost fell over as she walked away, bracing herself against the wall. I shook my head. Eric’s watch beeped.

            “Oh, we’ve got to go. We’re picking up Steve.” Eric told us.

            “Sweet!” Lisa bounded ahead of us. Lisa and Steve had become the other IT couple. They weren’t as sweet and hesitant as Eric and I were, but they made up for it with passion and a surprising closeness.

            “Ready?” Eric asked me softly, holding out his hand. I put my hand in his and let his scent rush over me, painfully calming. We took my car that day, but I let him drive. Lisa dove over the door into the backseat. The convertible top was down- as always; the wind blew my hair into a frenzy as we drove down the empty back roads. We picked up Steve at his posh little house a couple of blocks from the school.

            Our little group was separated in two ways. First, there was the couples; me and Eric, Steve and Lisa. Second, personality; Eric and Lisa were the brains, while Steve and I were the comic relief. Steve and Lisa were ,well, busy, so I turned to Eric, cranking up the funny in the way only we would laugh understand.

            “Dude, I like, need some crack bro.” I flipped my hair into my face, mocking Anna’s new haircut.

            “Sure thing, emo.” Eric laughed. Lisa surfaced, snorting.

            “Why is she Elmo?” she asked, confused and sarcastic.

            “Emo!” Eric laughed harder.

            “Show me the fuzzy red hair.” I gestured at my body. Steve looked at me contemplatively.

            “How do we know all your hair is black? Maybe she dyes?” he asked, scruffy blonde hair floppy in the wind.

            “Maybe Eric should check!” Lisa giggled. Eric, smiling widely, reached for my jeans. His fingers brushed my stomach and I squeaked.

            “My curtains and drapes are the same color, I swear!” I shrieked. We pulled into the school parking lot. We were still laughing riotously as we walked to first hour, holding on to each other for support as we clutched at our sides. We received a mixture of hateful, envious looks and completely piteous, worshipping hellos. Anna must’ve been ditching, because she wasn’t there. First and second hours passed in a dazed and happy blur where I was learned absolutely nothing. Not that I needed to. I had been through high school enough times.

            “Shut your mouths!” I yelled as the announcements came on at the end of second hour. The room was instantly graveyard still. We stood for the pledge and my voice was the loudest, even though I spoke softly. Then the announcements started. The woman’s voice was sugary sweet as she breezed through her job. I sat on the edge of the seat until I heard the one I was waiting for.

            “And finally, our varsity cheerleaders will be selling friendship flowers for a dollar in front of the cafeteria both lunches and after school. Buy them for your friend, your boyfriend, or your secret crush. Supplies are limited, so please come early.” my recorded voice came out of the speakers cheerily. The class applauded, but I shushed them.

            “Also, spend five bucks to kiss one of us, your choice for extra!” my recording laughed girlishly. The class burst into excited chatter. Subjects ranged from who they’d buy a flower for (me or Eric), to who’d get the most flowers (me) to bets on when Eric would finally ask me to the prom. One voice came out louder than the others, Alicia’s.

            “I bet every guy in this school will pay extra to kiss her except Eric. I bet he’ll go insane with jealousy and is already pissed at her.” I looked at Eric sharply.

            “Hey, Rose?” he asked, loud enough for everybody else to notice and shut up.

            “Yeah?” I asked, sincerely puzzled.

            “I want my kiss early.” he pulled me to him and kissed me thoroughly. I blushed the whole time, hands shaking on his shoulders.

            “Get a room!” Steve laughed. Eric let me go, but slipped his hands down to my waist to steady me.

            “How much do I owe you?” he asked softly. The class turned to us. If they were cats, they would’ve pricked up their ears.

            “No charge. My treat.” I answered, dizzy and breathless. The bell rang, and we rushed to escape the classroom. I was assaulted from all sides by compliments and questions.

            “When are the flowers being delivered?” Steve asked curiously.

            “Tomorrow, second hour.” Lisa answered for me.

            “What about the Rose Royalty?” a senior shouted.

            “Tradition is still in place, with one change. The deciding factor will be the amount of flowers received for both roles. And the Rose Royalty are still put in the running for Prom King and Queen.” I said, loudly rapping out the answer Lisa had drilled into my mind. I looked around the hallway and saw Anna talking to Alicia. Alicia pulled out money . Anna counted it and handed off a paper bag. My heart felt like stone.

            “Are you okay?” Eric asked. I shook off my fears and turned to smile at him.

            “Of course. Do you want to ditch third and help me set up for lunch?” I asked, turning up the charm and batting my eyelashes.

            “What’s in it for me?” Eric teased, wiggling his fingers between mine.

            “Maybe I’ll give you another free gift.” I taunted him back, kissing his cheek swiftly.

            “I have to go to class.” Lisa told me. Steve, catching on quickly, agreed with her.

            “I guess it’s just us then.” Eric grinned.

            “Come on, the stuff we need is in the cafeteria.” I pulled him along behind me. When we got there, we surveyed the wreckage that was our raw materials.

            “What do you want me to do?”

            “Get the flower table set up. The stuff is over there.” I waved him toward the smaller of the two piles.

            “And you?” he questioned gently. In response, I dug a huge pair of lips out of the bigger pile. It took me almost half an hour to drag out the wooden booth, put it together, drape it in red cloth, and attach hundreds of wooden lips all over it. Then I stepped inside of it to screw in the collection box and tape up the list of prices.

            “Okay.” I sighed to myself, finally finished.

            “What are your prices?” Eric opened the door. The window was closed, so we were in our own world when he closed the door behind him. The booth was small, so we were pressed up against each other, not that it was unpleasant.

            “I’m afraid I can’t allow you to pay.” we kissed for a while. I reached up to twine my arms around his neck. His hand crept under my shirt. The bell rang, and I pushed Eric out of the booth. He laughed tolerantly as I followed him out. I took my seat at the flower table, remarking on how well it had turned out. The other cheerleaders were the first to arrive.

            “Hannah, you’re up.” I pushed the single girl into the box. The rest of us had boyfriends, so she had volunteered. Two minutes later, we were swamped by students. Hundreds of boys paid the five dollars, and two thirds of them paid extra to kiss either me or Lisa. We made two thousand off the booth and more than ten thousand off the booth, both lunches combined. Several times Lisa and I exchanged a glance, mouthing stupid rich kids. After school we made another thousand dollars.

            “So, who’s handing out the flowers?” I asked the girls as we took down the booth and table, storing them for the next year.

            “Everybody but you.” Lisa told me.

            “Aaw…” I pretended to care.

            “You’ll see why.” she smiled at me brightly. I rolled my eyes at her, sticking out my tongue playfully. Lisa laughed and stuck out her tongue too. The other girls watched enviously.

            “Hey.” Eric rumbled, coming up behind me to wrap his arms around my waist and rest his chin on top of my head. I leaned back against him, sighing happily. He kissed my neck.

            “Ready to go?” I asked Lisa. She shook her head.

            “Steve ditched seventh to get his car. He’s taking me out for dinner.” she breather dreamily. I grinned at her wistfully.

            “So I guess it’s just the two of us.” I tipped my head back so I could look up at Eric.

            “In a little bit.” he murmured. The cheerleaders were leaving in groups of three to seven. I ten minutes it was just the three of us. A flashy car squealed into the parking lot. It came to a perfect stop in front of us.

            “Ready babe?” Steve shouted, kicking open the door. Lisa giggled.

            “See you guys later.” she hugged me, then ran to dive through the open door of the car. The kissed quickly but passionately, then the engine roared and they were gone.

            “It’s just us now. So what do you want to do?” Eric asked. He looked down at me, gray eyes full of curiosity.

            “First we have to go home so I can change. I don’t know how other girls can stand these kinds of jeans. I practically had to paint them on!” I complained. Skinny jeans were the bane of my existence- well, one of them.

            “Okay.”” Eric lifted me into his arms and I squealed with laughter. I wrapped my hands in his shirt, eyes shut tightly. He deposited me into the passenger seat of my convertible gently. I watched him as he got in and turned the key. The radio blared and I winced.

            “I haven’t been to church-’ I cut off the sound.

            “Oh, you don’t know what this is! Just wait, it’ll crack you up.” Eric chuckled, turning the volume back up. I scrunched up my nose, waiting for the funny part of the song. When it actually came, I laughed hysterically.

            “I pray your brakes go out running down a hill. I pray a flower-pot falls from a windowsill, and knocks you in the head like I’d like to. I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls. I pray you’re flying high when the engine stalls. I pray all your dreams, never come true. Just know wherever you are, honey, I pray for you.” Eric sang along, grinning widely. The rest of the song was just as funny. It was a great song, and the singer was good for it.

            “Who sings this? I totally have to buy this CD!” I smiled cheerily.

            “Jaron and The Long Road To Love!” Eric shouted, raising his voice to be heard over the radio. When the song ended, Eric reached for the dial to find another good song. I recognized the next song and reached out to stop him.

            “I love this song!”

            “Oh! I know what this is!” Eric said as Brad Paisley began to sing ‘Alcohol’. I sang with the radio this time, weaving a sweet harmony into the song. We reached my favorite part and I flung out my arms dramatically, singing loudly.

            “And I’ll bet you a drink or two, that I can make you, put that lampshade on your heeeeaaaad!” I must admit, my heart pounded when he laughed with me. I guess it was a real bonding moment. It made me want to barf. The car gently rolled to a stop and I jumped out quickly.

            “You run up and get changed. I’m going to get a snack. Strawberry ice cream okay?” Eric looked insecure for a second.

            “It’s great, but I think I’m just gonna grab a bottle of- you know.” I shrugged. It took Eric a moment to get it.

            “Got it!” Eric called as he jogged to the door. I followed him more slowly. When he opened the door for me, I smiled unsteadily. Eric headed off to the kitchen and I ran to my room. I fell back against the door, relieved. The rush of receiving a new mission was fading. The more I hung around with Eric, the less I was attracted to him. It might have been that the more I got to know him, the more I realized he just wasn’t William. Or it could have been that I just didn’t like him that much. Either way, Eric was somehow- thankfully- as oblivious as always.

            I changed out of my jeans and into softened sweat pants. My tight shirt swapped out for an old Bon Jovi shirt from his Circle tour in 2010, one thousand and twenty three years ago. I ran a brush through my hair until it flowed smoothly to my back in sleek, wild curls. Turning on the tap in the connected bathroom, I meticulously scrubbed off all my make-up. The microwave dinged, and I pulled out the bottle, sipping from it slowly. When I looked in the mirror, I was stunned by the contrast.

            My skin was snowy and flawless. My pants were black, as was the shirt, with pure and clean whit designs. My black hair framed my face, drawing attention to my thickly lashed black eyes. The only splash of color on me was my lips. They were stained that rich, deep red from what I had drank. I wiped them off quickly, leaving only their natural, rich pink color.

            “Hey Rose, you ready? Oh, wow.” Eric took a second to shake himself out of his stupor. I watched him, amused, as he gulped and shifted his weight.

            “Thanks. And yes. We need to go somewhere quiet and pretty. Somewhere nobody else goes.” I picked up another bottle I had warmed and led the way to the door.

            “Okay. I know the perfect place.” Eric reached for his keys.

            “Is it far to walk?” I asked.

            “No. It’s maybe five minutes down the road and another five minutes through the woods on a hidden dirt road.” he nodded absently.

            “Good. Leave your phone and anything else technological. I have a promise to keep, and electronic signals get in the way of telepathic ones.” I turned away, pulling out my earrings and leaving them on the hallway table. Eric dumped everything out of his pockets.

            “Are these clothes okay?” he gestured at his modest, loose tee and comfortable jeans with room to spare.

            “Yeah.” I removed my shoes and left them there. Eric did the same immediately.

            “Why are we doing this?” he asked.

            “We want to be as close to the earth and the rest of the elements as possible. You draw your power from one of them. Since I don’t know which, we need to be open to all of them. You’re lucky I’m not making you do this skyclad at midnight during a full moon.” I explained as accurately as I could.

            “Skyclad?” Eric raised an eyebrow. Of course that was the only thing he had picked up on. Boys.

            “Naked. Have you never read any books just for fun? That word is everywhere.” I sighed wistfully.

            “I don’t have time to read for pleasure. I’m working college classes.” he shrugged. So am I, but I still read. I thought, almost snorting.

            “Okay, lead the way.” I waved him on. He opened his mouth but I shook my head, gesturing for silence as we stepped outside. Eric nodded and walked in front of me. I urged him into a jog silently. We cut the street time in half. The forest was a little tougher as I had to pace myself to match Eric’s careful steps as he focused to avoid tree roots and stones. I padded through the forest with ease, never bothering to watch my step. The place we traveled to must have been relatively unknown, judging by how the path had been overrun by plants.

            Eric came a stop and I had to stifle a gasp. We had stopped in a little clearing hidden in the abundant, old growth trees. The edges were ringed by thick grasses dotted with vibrant wildflowers. Animals walked around peacefully, unseen but for the movement of the plants and my sharp eye for colors. However, what really took my breath away was the pond.

            It was big enough to swim in, about eight by ten and eight feet deep. The water was clear and sparkled in the light that filtered through the leaves of the trees. It had obviously been made by hand. It was lined with carefully selected stones. Each was unique; some were carved into smoother shapes while others were obviously naturally perfect. The stones, colorful under the water, lent a cheery air to the silent wisdom of the forest. Overall it was a breathtaking picture. I looked at Eric and he smiled sheepishly.

            I gestures at the ground. My motions were languid and slow as I sat down cross-legged at the edge of the pool. Eric sat as well, mirroring my actions. Motioning him to move closer, I scooched up as well until our knees touched. I held out my hands, palm up. Eric put his hands in mine solemnly. I held a finger to my mouth quickly before putting my hand back, glancing at him meaningfully. Then I directed my gaze to the clear sky and spoke.

            “I call upon the power of the sun and the moon and ask you to guide us on our journey. I call upon the power of earth and sky and us that you ground us in times of hardship and help us fly in times of joy. I call upon the power of fire and water and ask that you bring passion and flexibility to our lives. I call upon the power of day and ask you to light our paths and bring warmth in the chill of despair.” I nodded to Eric and mouthed the words he needed.

            “I call upon these and others and ask you to light my heart and soul as I seek the path I am meant to follow and the destiny I am to fulfill.” Eric smiled as he felt the power rush into us.

            “Finally I call upon my savior, my power. I call upon the power of night, the power of the unknown and the impossible, of blood and death. I beseech you to aid me in the teaching of my student. I beg you to give him the knowledge he needs to find his element and use it safely. I thank you for all you have given me and ask you now to whisper to me, night. Give me your secrets!” I called. Tipping my head back, I surrendered to the rush of the power of nature. Fire rushed through my veins. The forest moved around me, receptive and caring. The water in the pool burbled. The sun beat down, giving its last heat. They whispered to me, telling me what I needed to know. My eyes flew open and I smiled at Eric ecstatically. I gave him his words.

            “I claim the power of flames. I claim the power of passion. I claim the power of heat and love and I claim the power of healing. I claim the power of fire as my own.” passion flared between us.

            “In the name of night and the name of fire, I claim the right to release this student. In the name of Eric Pearson, I claim his right to trial. Do you object?” I looked at Eric and shook my head. Imbued by the newly discovered power of his element, he knew what I was asking. He knew the trial would be excruciatingly painful. I was willing to endure it for him. A smart person would’ve let me do it.

            “I object to your claim. I claim my right to trial. I call upon the power of fire and ask to begin. I call upon my fate. I command my destiny to begin!” Eric shot down my offer. Idiot! I thought. This will hurt.

            “As your mentor, I claim the right to begin the trial and release. You must remain silent through the entire trial. Prepare yourself.” I shivered once under the pressure of all my power, Eric’s, and that of my one telepathic ‘victim’ William, all present and awakened at once.

            “I am prepared. Let us begin.” Eric commanded with the full power of his element.

            “I call upon fire and ask that you try this student. Fire, begin the trial. I demand that you make this student worthy of you. I command you to take him as your own!”  I shouted. My body became the conduit for the growing power. It came from all around us, and from that deep well inside of me I had tried to forget. I was filled with it as it flooded into me in a never-ending stream. Then it some of it rushed out of me and into Eric. Though I had been the conduit, the real test was his. The power changed in an instant. The sweet caress became a scalding chokehold, especially where it flowed from me into Eric. Fire coursed through my body, then through our linked hands. The abundant power left in me kept cushioned me, kept it the harsh power of fire from harming me until it disappeared from me almost entirely. Then the other powers swirled down into the well, waiting.

            Eric stiffened, eyes widening and nostrils flaring. I pitied him. It had been painful for me, and I wasn’t even human. He was fragile, full of the mortal flame. The pain might kill him. He started to shake violently. I squeezed Eric’s hands tightly. I knew that half the pain was the shuddering. It was not the pain that caused the wracking shivers that tore at his muscles, but the suppressed screams scratching at his throat. His pulse sped up to a dangerous, stuttering pace and he breathed lightly and quickly, barely pulling anything in.  Then, as soon as he reached that brink, it was over. Eric looked up, his eyes lit with a new light. The power rushed back into me, luring the others into a frenzy and taking over us both.

            “You have been tried by fire and not found wanting. You have been through the test of passion and been found complete. You were tried by love and found able. Fire claims you. Fire purifies you. Fire sets your passion alight and brings forth your love. Use it as you see fit.” the voice was not my own but one rougher, passionate and knowing.

            “I thank you fire. I have been tried and found worthy. I claim my power. I claim my birthright. I claim my passion.” Eric said clearly.

            “Then we brand you as ours.” the voice continued. The power directed me. I leaned forward and kissed him passionately. My hand laid at the hollow of his neck. Eric  didn’t cry out, even as the ring supporting my family somehow became white-hot and branded his skin.

            “I beseech the power of fire to aid my mentor in releasing me from my bonds.” Eric said when I pulled away. The power swirled within me again, fire and night twining to become a singular force while the others stayed put, making me feel the pleasure of their power.

            “I accept your offering. Let us begin.” fire said through my mouth. What offering? I wondered momentarily, before I lost myself again. The power began to focus into my hands, that dark fire keeping the others away. My hands began to glow. I pushed at Eric’s defenses. Weak and untrained, they shattered. The block to his powers lay open. I battered it down. The resulting shock of pain was short and sweet. I dragged his power through his body, helping him to know what to do, to know how to circulate it, to use it to better himself. When his mind lay bare to me, I shoved the power at him. There was a brilliant burst of light from my hands, and I knew I had succeeded. We both breathed lightly and quickly now. Our gazes caught and fire’s passion burned between us.

            “I have claimed my birthright, and now I claim my passion.” Eric pulled me onto his lap and kissed me. I ran my hands up under his shirt, loving the feel of his skin, velvet soft over hard muscle. Eric lifted his arms up so I could pull his shirt over his head. His chest lay bare to me, and my hands were free to roam. Before I knew what was happening, I was caught between him and the ground. Eric tugged my shirt off and kissed my skin. I lost control, tugging at his jeans. He was moving to help when I froze. Eric’s blood pounded in his veins, clouding my mind. But one thought was clear; he’s not the one I love, or the one I’m married to. I stopped Eric.

            “In the name of night, I banish the power of day. I banish the powers of the sun and moon, of earth and sky and water. I banish the power of fire. Leave this place! Night, I thank you and ask you to depart.” the powers coursing through our bodies faded away, mine disappearing back into their prison. Eric rolled off of me, panting.

            “I’m so sorry.” he looked ready to cry.

            “It’s okay. It just wasn’t right. Not now, and not because of feelings that weren’t ours.” I smiled gently, pulling my shirt back on. Eric reached for his. I stood up, and the world swam in front of me. The ground twisted and I fell, vision blurring. I heard Eric shout my name, then I didn’t feel the ground anymore. He lifted me into his arms and ran. It seemed to me that it took years to get back, or maybe it was only seconds. My mind played tricks on me.

            “Hey, guys, how cute! You’re so ro- oh god!” Lisa shrieked. I hung limply in Eric’s arms, dimly aware of Lisa probing at my mind.

            “Help her, please.” Eric begged.
            “Up to our room.” it was as if their voices were muffled by thick woolen blankets. I lost everything for a while, for what could have been years. I came to a little when something warm and wet was pressed to my mouth. My lips blossomed open, and I swallowed the thick, heady liquid I hazily recognized as blood. I was able to stay awake for a few good swallows, but I fell into darkness when the warmth was gone.

1 comment:

  1. i loved this chapter.

    but realy? must you end in cliffhangers? one again, your a MEANY XD

    ~figs

    ReplyDelete