Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Falling Petals Chapter Seven


I stretched languidly when I woke up. It was the ninth day of my mission. Prom was that night, graduation the next afternoon and the gala after that.

            “Busy, busy, busy.” I sang as I pulled on the shorts and tank top I would wear as I got my hair and nails done.

            “What?” Eric asked, leaning against the doorframe. Anger flared in me but was quickly stifled by the cloak Night had put over my feelings.

            “Jeez you scared me! Hey, are you okay?” I asked, genuinely concerned for a moment. Reaching out, I gently traced the dark circles under his eyes. His hair was mussed and his clothes askew, as if he had slept in them.

            “Did you know it was Alicia who died yesterday?” he asked suddenly. I made my mouth slacken and my eyes go soft.

            “Oh god. You guys had a thing, didn’t you?” I probed, giving him a chance to give me the right answer, to admit it while he still had a decent chance. Before I ‘found out’ later.

            “We did, but she broke it off.” he responded, a half truth like the ones I had successfully told him but the kind I saw right through.

            “When?” I knew I looked innocently curious as I crossed my fingers behind my back, hoping against all odds that he would be truthful even though everything inside me told me he wouldn’t.

            “A while ago.” he answered noncommittally.  I cursed in my head while Night’s cloak worked over-time to blanket my fury.

            “I’m sorry. I know how you feel.” thoughts of Sam brought genuine regret and understanding to my expression. Eric studied my face, then gave me a weak smile.

            “Hungry?” he asked, holding out his arms. I smiled eagerly and stepped forward into his arms. He laid me on the bed gently and I bit quickly. Eric groaned and a drugged smile slipped over his face. The muddling effects of Eric’s blood never came, leaving my mind clear. So when I pulled away, we did everything but, because I knew I could stop. We were kissing again when I looked over at the clock.

            “No, no! Eric, you have to stop!” I squeaked as he kissed the most sensitive skin on my body.

            “Do I really?” he asked softly, hooking one of my legs around his waist.

            “Yes. Nails, hair!” I panted, trying to squirm away. Eric trapped me beneath him.

            “Mmm… I guess I better go then. Sine you’re the prom queen and all, you better look good. Oh, who am I kidding. You always look great.” he tangled his hands in my hair and kissed me one last time before rolling off of me and picking up his clothes. I watched him for a second before putting on the clothes I could reach. We were decently dressed just in time before Lisa burst into the room. She raised an eyebrow at me.

            “You’re wearing his shirt, for one, and two…” Lisa pulled  my bra off the top of the microwave. I blushed and snatched it out of her hand, slipping it on underneath Eric’s shirt. Which I then slipped off and handed to Eric. While I rooted around for my shirt Eric and Lisa stood in uneasy silence. Lisa radiated fury, and I knew the only thing that kept her from chewing him out was that she knew I needed to finish the mission. But Eric looked confused and mildly amused. He coughed and pointed to the fan on the ceiling. My shirt was dangling from it. I reached up and yanked it down.

            “Right. Well we have to go. Unless you have something better to do.” Lisa glared at Eric. He looked hopeful, but I shook my head quickly at Lisa’s questioning glance.

            “Nope. See you later Eric!” I called as I flounced out of the room. Lisa and I ran downstairs, laughing and poking each other to distract ourselves from the boy who stood at the top of the stairs watching us leave. We slipped on our sandals at the door. When we got in the car, Lisa put the top down and blasted Bon Jovi the whole way. We both sang along and were laughing breathlessly when we got to the salon.

            “Can we help you?” the woman at the front desk asked. It took as a little to calm down enough to talk, but the others around us seemed to brighten and loosen up. Hot, laughing teenage girls are hard to despise.

            “We’re the Sanfords. We have an appointment with Darla.” Lisa and I looked at each other and busted up laughing again.

            “Private joke?” the lady asked.

            “Ever seen the show Angel? Darla was the evil vampire.” I gasped. Lisa tried to hold it in but only ended up snorting and making us both laugh harder. The gloomy air in the salon seemed lighter, more friendly, than it had been before. A tall, statuesque blonde walked up to the counter.

            “Ah. The fabled Sanford sisters. I’m Darla.” she sounded almost exactly like Darla from the show, and looked like her taller sister. It cracked us up. Lisa and I had our nails done, mine in gold and hers in a striking midnight blue. We got facials as well, then we went to get our hair and makeup done. Lisa had hers put up in a cute swirl on her head. Some of her golden ringlets hung down to frame her face. She let them lay on the makeup until she looked like a rock star. It would be perfect for the dress she would be wearing later.

            I had them gather my hair at the crown of my head. From there it cascaded down my back like an obsidian waterfall. They pinned an ornate red clip I had brought with me over the ugly clips they used to put my hair up. I opted for light makeup. A light gold shaded my eyelids and my lips were painted a scarlet red that wouldn’t come off for at least twelve hours no matter what I did. They darkened my eyelashes even more and touched up my eyebrows. Then they dumped gold glitter into my hair and brushed the rest onto my skin so I glittered like the vampires in those Twilight books.

            “Come back soon! And don’t forget those pictures!” Darla called as we left. We had paid and given everybody that worked on us great tips.

            “For sure!” Lisa yelled back. Then she shook her head at me, eyes wide. I laughed uproariously, tossing my head back and attracting the attention of everyone on the street.

            We went to the mall next in search of shoes and jewelry.  I found gorgeous red heels and gold platforms that I couldn’t choose between. When Lisa reminded me what she was wearing, I decided. Lisa bought the gold shoes and I bought the red ones. Then we walked around looking for the perfect accessories. We bought handbags too, mine gold and hers the same midnight blue as her nails. The color’s William’s eyes used to be.

            “Oh my gosh. It’s perfect!” Lisa said, gesturing at the windows of a custom jewelry store. She was fawning over an obsidian choker inlaid with sapphires and diamonds.

            “Oh, go get it.” I smiled tolerantly, forking over the shopaholic’s credit card. She skipped into the store and I followed her, laughing. Lisa rang up quickly.

            “Do you have anything for my sister? Something that will work with white and scarlet and gold?” she asked the jeweler.

            “Ah. Only one, and she is the pride of the designer’s collection. She is trés expensive.” he answered, and I cringed at his pathetic attempt at French.

            “Ooh. Show us please!” Lisa squealed. The jeweler nodded and disappeared into the back room, where I heard the twirling of a combination lock on a safe. He came back out holding a thin velvet box. The jeweler set it on the counter, opening it carefully.

            “Oh.” we all gasped, even though the jeweler had seen it before. The necklace was beautiful. It was white gold, but the chain itself, was plain gold. The necklace would lie on my chest. It was long enough to reach halfway to the bodices of my gowns. The white gold was attached to the chain, but that was where the normal ended. The white gold had been formed into a delicate, swirling web- not unlike the sapphire necklace I had worn to my wedding- and had its beauty in its chaos. Rubies and opals were woven into the design, glistening in the dim light. It was perfect for both dresses.

            “How much?” I asked, silently praying I could afford it.

            “Five million.” the jeweler answered. I swore aloud, heart-broken.

            “I only have four left!” I told Lisa. She shook her head.

            “I just finished mine off. Those dresses were expensive.”

            “That’s too bad.” I said softly.

            “Want to look for something else?”

            “No.” I responded sorrowfully. I looked around quickly, feeling like I was being watched, before returning my gaze to the ground.

            “Home?”

            “Yeah.” regret was clear in my voice.

            “Holy cow! It’s seven. We better get back so we can be ready on time!” Lisa yelped. I followed her back to the car. I had to drive so we could make it. We dressed quickly, taking turns helping each other. The doorbell rang just as Lisa finished lacing up my dress as far as it would go.

            “I’ll get it!” I said, skipping steps as I raced down the stairs. Huffing, I skidded to a stop in my bare feet. Wrenching open the door, I jumped out of the way.

            “Yes?” I asked, my breath steadying immediately.

            “Is there a Miss Sanford here?” the guy standing on the doorstep asked nervously. He was adorable, just like Sam with red-gold hair and blue eyes, tall and lean.

            “Which one?” I asked, flashing a dazzling, flirty smile. He swallowed hard.

            “Uh- er- Rose?” he stuttered.

            “That would be me. And you are?” I asked, flipping my hair back.

            “Er- um- Chris?”

            “Well, business of pleasure Chris?” I purred, his name rolling off my tongue like a slice of heaven on earth. It took a moment for him to get his voice back. His blue eyes were wide and surprised, like he had never been flirted with before.

            “Um- erm- business?” again with the question. I scowled internally.

            “And what business would that be?” I asked curtly.

            “I’m being paid to deliver these to you.” he handed over two packages wrapped in butcher paper.

            “Thanks. Bye.” I shut the door in his shocked face and ran back up the stairs. I flung open the door to my room.

            “Whoa. You look excited. What’s up?” Lisa asked while she re-curled the ringlets that had flattened out.

            “Some guy was paid to deliver these to me.” I held out the two packages.

            “Ooh, the intrigue! Open them!” she commanded. I happily complied. Unwrapping the smaller package first, I revealed a rose, the ones you can find in high-end jewelry stores that are coated in glass and gold. A black ribbon had been tied to it, but its petals were bright scarlet.

            “Pretty.” I remarked. I handed it to Lisa.

            “Undoubtedly. Hold on.” she said. She took the rose and slipped it into my hair where it was gathered in the back. It nestled there comfortably, a charming addition to my outfit.

            “Thanks.” I grinned at her.

            “Next one.” she plopped down next to me. I tore the wrapping off the second package, a velvet box. t looked familiar, too familiar to be anything other than what I thought it was. I popped the clasp on the little box and tears fell into my lap.

            “Wow.” I said. The necklace I had so badly wanted rested in my hands. The only clue as to who had gone to so much trouble was a note.

You’re welcome!

            That was all it read but I immediately knew who it was from. The sadness and fury balked under Night’s cloak.

            “You’re welcome? That’s it? Who could have done it?” Lisa asked.

            “I have no idea.” I lied.

            “Sure you don’t.” she eyed me skeptically but let it go.

            “Help me with the clasp?” I offered my olive branch, secretly worried I would harm the delicate mechanism that held the chain together at the back. I held my hair out of the way and felt Lisa’s fingers brush the back of my neck.

            “Wow.” Lisa said, backing up and looking me over.

            “What?”

            “It’s a good thing you’re the prom queen. Otherwise we’d have a jealous cat fight on our hands.” she looked at the clock and her laughter stopped immediately.

            “Time to go?”

            “Yeah. The boys should be here any moment with the limo. Here are your shoes.” she passed them to me. Knowing I would need help, I watched her as she strapped on her own shoes. She was just as pretty as I was, only in a different way. Her dress was skimpy and gold with sapphires scattered in little whorls all over the fabric. She wore fishnet tights and studded bracelets along with her gold pumps and choker. When she caught me staring wistfully she smiled and pumped her fist in the air like a rock star.

            “I can’t reach my feet under my dress.” I said. Lisa nodded and dove underneath the waves of fabric to put them on for me.

            “Thanks.” I answered her unspoken words. Her eyes told me she was worried for my sanity.

            “Oh wow.” Eric’s awed voice sounding from his place by the door where he always seemed to pop up. I looked up and saw a kind of worship in his eyes.

            “We know.” Lisa said because my voice had frozen in my throat.

            “Ready?” he asked, his gaze fixed on me.

            “We’ll be down in a second.” Lisa told him firmly, pushing him out the door before turning to me. “Are you alright?”

            She rushed over to me. Memories flooded into my mind. Samuel laughing at my Daniel Tosh impression. William standing at the altar with tears flowing. Eric onstage with me, dipping me in front of a high school full of kids. They were happy memories that made my heart flutter. Then came the torment of all the bad memories. Sam’s face was deadly pale, with my name on his lips when he died.  William’s face both the day I left him and again and again for centuries. Eric’s expression the day ‘Alicia’ told him it was over. Something inside me gave way. The compassionate, loving part of me fell away. Ice crystalized over my heart and Night’s cloak vanished with a peaceful murmur of power, telling me I no longer needed her.

            “I’m great. Let’s get this done with.” I answered cooly. Lisa shot me a worried glance but I ignored her. Instead I sent out a silent promise that no boy would ever get close to my heart as long as I lived…

*                      *                      *                      *                      *                      *                    *

            Dinner was a disaster. Steve and Lisa got in a fight and Eric hit another waiter. I just watched it all, cold and dispassionate. Secretly I was disappointed when the drama ended and we left. However, I managed a smile at a vision of a huge cat fight at the dance with me in the middle. When we got there, Eric opened the door. Not realizing he was stopping I smacked right into him. Scowling I looked up at him.

            “Chivalry is not attractive on you!” I spat. Steve and Lisa had to hide smiles. Eric just backed away, puzzled and hurt.

            “Okay. Rose, we’re taking the picture together.” Lisa announced, dragging me through the door to the place where they were taking pictures. We took a few in outrageous, very us poses and then we both took solemn ones with our respective dates. Then Lisa grabbed my hand again and pulled me onto the dance floor. We danced for maybe half an hour before disaster stuck. Halfway through the classic oldie for teens, California Girls, the whispers started. Then it came louder. Then Lisa froze before she started pulling on my arm and trying to tow me out of the building.

            “We have to go!” she said urgently

            “Oh, but I’m having so much fun!” I said sarcastically.

            “Hey! It’s that guy who attacked me. He doesn’t go to our school!” Eric exclaimed. I stiffened and watched the color drain from Lisa’s face.

            “He’s here with Anna. Weird. We haven’t seen her in a while” Steve remarked. My hands clenched into fists.

            “Don’t do it Shadow. Let them be.” Lisa said swiftly, her voice low.

            “I can’t. We have orders Lisa.” I responded. Then I turned around to find the happy couple right behind us. Yet, as mad as I was, I had to admit they made a stunning pair. Anna was in a voluminous pink velvet dress that almost, but not quite, clashed with her curly auburn hair where it rested on her shoulders. William had coordinated his tux so it matched, but it wasn’t her he matched. It was me. I swallowed hard and made my decision.

            “Somebody get Anna out of here before I do something she’ll regret.” I hissed through clenched teeth. She squeezed my hand, relieved and grateful. Then Steve and Lisa led her out of the building, leaving me with William- and Eric who was watching us with wide, threatened eyes.

            “You look amazing. The necklace works with the dress perfectly.” William smiled at me nervously.

            “Thank you. For giving it to me, I mean.” I responded evenly. Doubt flickered in William’s eyes. Then the song changed to Every Rose Has It’s Thorns.

            “Dance with me?” he asked, holding out a hand. My memory pulled me back through time to the night we met.

            “Of course.” I answered, letting him pull me close. We were the envy of everyone as we spun and twirled, weaving between them as we danced.

            “I missed you. All that time without you… it’s amazing I’m still sane.” he whispered, lips brushing my ear.

            “I missed you too. Every second you were gone.” I felt the ice that had so recently encased my heart begin to melt. I was surprised by how fast my moods were flipping lately.

            “Then why do you keep doing this to me?” he asked, brushing his lips along my jawbone.

            “I had to. It’s my job. You did it too. What’s your excuse?” I asked, kissing his nose.

            “I didn’t though!  Which you would know if you would let me explain.” he answered irritably.

            “Okay. If we get out of here, the floor’s yours.” I finally acceded. William didn’t seem to understand at first; he was ready for my insistent refusal. But when he got it a brilliant smile flashed. The song stopped but we didn’t move away from each other. William’s mouth descended on mine and we twined together in a way that was borderline indecent.

            “And now, you Prom King and Queen are… Eric Slythe and Rose Sanford!” I hadn’t realized they were tallying up the votes, but the announcement came all the same. A spotlight searched through the crowd; I was so caught up in William I didn’t notice anything else. Well, I didn’t until the bright light came to rest on us and a collective gasp burst forth. Eric, who was already onstage, looked far beyond mad.

            “Um, Rose?” one of the cheerleaders asked, voice quavering. I pulled away from William just a little, linking our hands together.

            “Why?” Eric choked out. “How could you do this to me?”

            “How could I do it to you? At least I’m with my husband. I’m not running off with my ex every Friday while I try to sleep with someone else at the same time!” I spat incredulously.

            “How do you know about that?” Eric asked, face as white as the white roses that crowned his dark hair. All around us the other students whispered about the drama. Eric is cheating on a very young married woman who’s having an affair with him, they whispered.

            “Did you really think she would come back from the dead just to tell you to bite it? Have you forgotten what I can do so soon?” I smirked at him, squeezing William’s hands comfortingly.

            “You wouldn’t!”

            “I did!” I said back, mocking his dismayed tone. He was about to say more when William broke in.

            “You cheated on her with that cheap high school hussy?” he roared. He stood up straight, radiating fury and power. The English accent that he’d learned to hide came out like it always did when the bloodlust struck him.

            “I-I-” Eric stuttered. He spoke too late. William sprang, making the twenty foot jump easily in a way no human could. He stood on the stage across from Eric, breathing heavily with his hair standing up straight. It was as the devil himself was there to reap justice on a ruined soul.

            “You have no chance.” he said pleasantly. His muscles coiled as he readied himself to pounce and drive those deadly fangs right into the tender flesh of Eric’s neck.

            “William! If you do this it will hurt me too.” my voice rang out crystal clear and calm in the dead silence. Doubt flickered in William’s eyes. He slowly backed away with his eyes latched on me. Eric collapsed to the ground, relieved and crying.

            “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry!” he sobbed, and I knew he was talking to another girl, one he had loved more than he had ever loved me.

            “She’s dead Eric. She can’t hear you.” I said harshly. Eric hopped off the stage, landing with a feline grace that still couldn’t match mine. The crowd cleared a path as he made his way back to my side.

            “Forgive me?” he questioned softly. I smiled, reaching up to place a hand on his cheek.

            “Of course. It’s our nature.” I responded, kissing him swiftly. Then I took his place onstage.

            “Listen up!” I shouted. The students were instantly crowded.
            “This shouldn’t have had to happen. We both have done wrong. My husband and I had separated. When Eric asked me out, we were not together. We’ve only reconsidered tonight. However, Eric cheated on me while we were going out. Every Friday he went to Alicia because I didn’t want to have sex with a guy I had known just over a week. That was wrong and I bet he knew it. Now we are both going to have to deal with it, hopefully in a nonviolent way.” I looked at William as I spoke the last sentence. He nodded at me, smiling easily.

            “Well, that’s it! Thanks for voting for me. Have fun and try not to get pregnant tonight!” I waved, then slid off the stage right into William’s waiting arms. We left Eric staring after us, the others equally comatose. We wouldn’t look back- literally, not figuratively, why are people so finicky?- as we made our way to the hotel proper. I had the key to the hotel room Eric had rented because he didn’t trust himself not to lose it. Flashing it at William, I led the way to the room. I opened the door and locked it behind us.

            “Flashy.” William commented dryly, knowing that wasn’t usually what I liked. The room was full of hearts and glitter. Even the bed and tub were heart-shaped, and they were both big enough to fit ten people.

            “Hungry?” I asked, gesturing to a mini-fridge Eric had made sure would be full of bottles of the red liquid that was my life in death.

            “Synthetic?” he asked, eyeing the bottles warily because human blood almost always made him sick.

            “I haven’t drank human blood since… oh, day before last. But yes, they are synthetic. I answered, laughing.

            “Who’d you kill?” William asked as he popped open a bottle, pouring it into glasses and mixing it with some kind of clear alcohol.

            “Alicia. She asked me to. She had cancer.” I explained, shrugging.

            “You really have gone soft.” he grinned at me while he handed me my glass.

            “Whatever!” I scoffed, slapping his arm playfully.

            “Sure thing, Noir.” William’s eyes softened into pools of liquid black and gold. That name rolling off his tongue sent shivers climbing up and down my spine. Even though he was obviously waiting for my response I just stared, trying to get past the lump in my throat.

            “I… uh…” I finally squeaked. A smile crept onto William’s lips but it slid off just as quickly. He leaned in slowly, giving me plenty of time to move away. When I didn’t he kissed me softly. What started as innocent and sweet slowly changed and became passionate and demanding. William’s arms slid around me and his fingers tangled in my hair, pulling it down from its elaborate nest of curls. I slid his jacket off, then everything he wore underneath it. His chest was bared to my wandering fingers and felt like silk beneath my sensitive hands. Taking that as a good sign William began to tug at the laces of my dress. While it would have taken a modern man a couple of minutes to figure out, William needed mere seconds to have my dress pooled at my feet. Still kissing me he lifted me out of it and set me down on the bed. My hands slid down to his pants and he helped me take them off. Our hearts pounded in furious symphony while our breathing matched perfectly.

            “Don’t stop.” I begged when he pulled away. William’s expression remained serious and loving but there was something searching in his eyes.

            “Don’t deny me this time Shadow. I can’t stand it.” he pleaded. My yes must have relayed my answer for he tilted his head back and bared his neck. Whimpering, I attached my mouth to his neck like a leech. He groaned and moved against me. When I pulled away, afraid to hurt him, he just rolled us over. Then he bit me.

            There are no words that can properly describe how it felt. It was half love and half animal passion. My body yearned to take him in every way. Something like a drug-induced high swamped my mind. Sensual pleasure rocketed my body into full blown shivers. I mewled a protest when he pulled away but his mouth silenced any other thing I might have said. Things only got more intimate from there. I taught William everything Eric had taught me that morning. He was eager and completely willing to be taught and to teach in turn. He was a fast learner.

            “No!” I gasped when I realized what we were about to do. William pulled away, his dark eyes dreamy and full of passion. His bottom lip was dark with blood where one of us had nicked it.

            “No?” he asked, stroking the skin at my waist. I moaned and pleasure began to cloud my mind again. I forced it away.

            “No. You have… something… you need… to tell me.” I panted as he continued to move against me.

            “Mmm…” he sighed, kissing me again before rolling away and reaching for his clothes.

            “Don’t. Just talk.” I said, weaving my fingers between his and looking up at him expectantly. He was sitting while I still laid down, so when he carefully surveyed my eyes he was looking down at me.
            “Okay.” he finally said. Then he took a deep breath and began to weave his story the way only he could, projecting the images around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment